Friday, March 2, 2012

you can go INSIDE mcdonalds?

I've made it a whole week and a half without a car and I'm afraid it's not as exciting as I thought it might be.  This week I made it to work no problem (walking that one block isn't even really a big deal when it's snowing - some people have to walk that far to their cars in parking lots anyway) and went to tons of fun stuff.  I ate lunch and dinner at restaurants within walking distance of my apartment and even played guitar with my dad at open mic night at one of our bars.  I had to carry my guitar downstairs and about 20 feet to Green Town Tavern  - again, closer than most people park to music venues.

This morning I did have a revelation though - that building attached to the McDonalds drive through isn't just a big kitchen.  You can go INSIDE McDonalds.  Crazy, I know.  So I went inside to get coffee this morning, and there are all these people in there!  Reading newspapers and talking.  AND, they have free wi-fi!  I talked to a couple people and met some more neighbors who live downtown and walk or take the bus most places.  I never thought I'd say this before my no driving adventure, but McDonalds is totally going to be one of my new hangouts.

I came across a cool video today about "road diets" from the Walkable & Livable Communities Institute.  Once you start reading about this stuff, there's a huge movement of people actively trying to reduce our reliance on cars.  Check it out:


Tomorrow I'm thinking sledding.

No comments:

Post a Comment